Wednesday, September 24, 2014

3rd Place!

About a month or so ago I saw via Facebook that the Renal Support Network was offering an essay contest for those with chronic kidney disease.

The prompt was "talk about a healthy decision you made and how it could affect others"

I decided, on a whim, to enter as I have been looking into getting more involved with kidney disease awareness and advocacy so I thought this may be a good place to start. Also, first place prize was $500, and with a new baby on the way, I'd be lying if I said the possibility of some extra cash wasn't a motivating factor.

I spent little time on it, and as always, my essay read more like a journal entry than something more sophisticated. I wanted my message of acceptance to be very honest and real. I didn't want to talk about this disease and paint it as something that it isn't (easy) and therefor had little faith that my essay would place because I felt it was too honest.

To my surprise, I recieved a call a few weeks later from the founder of RSN congratulating me on having my essay selected for the third place award! Lori said the message of acceptance was very inspiring and important. I won $100 and lots of confidence in becoming more involved and active in CKD awareness!!! The essay was soon published on their website and the link was posted on their facebook site.

You can read my essay HERE

After reading the essays that placed first and second, I was VERY self conscious of my essay that seemed lacking compared to theirs. The other authors were so eloquent and impressive I was hoping very few people would read mine.

Thankfully, people DID read it and the message of acceptance was SO well recieved by the CKD community! I was so touched by all the "likes" and comments the facebook link received, some of them moved me to tears. Here are some samples:





I'm so JOYFUL so many could relate to my own personal story but more than that- the message of acceptance and taking good care of yourself. This lesson transcends kidney disease alone, it can be applied to literally any hardship. I'm embarrassed it took me 20 years to learn it, but so thankful the Lord was patient with me so I could learn it, live it, and share it!

I encourage all of you who are reading this to "like" RSN on Facebook to keep up with all the latest news and stories on Kidney Disease! What an encouraging and strong community! :)

Xox
Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment